Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Snow and Sun!



As promised, here is my last installment of my photos of this blizzard.  Like my first post in this series, my favorite photo is the last in the bunch, so make sure you scroll through all of the pictures before you click away!

Early sunrise is my absolute favorite time to capture photos--the golden light and dramatic shadows provide such a beautiful setting.  Combine that with the peaceful solitude and stillness that comes right after a snow storm, and I get to see a little slice of heaven.

So the dock is at the bottom of a giant hill from our house, which means everything down there was sheltered from the wind.  This allowed some of the late snow to stick to everything and allowed me to get shots like this!

So this photo and the next are almost the same.....except for the subject.  In this one, the subject is the fallen tree, with its scraggly, crooked branches.  In the next, the subject is the dock with its strong, straight lines (plus the shadows).  This makes the photos very different to me.  Which do you like better?  The crazy, crooked lines of the tree?.......or........

........the solid, straight, lines of the dock? This is where I should put in a personality quiz that reveals what your choice says about you.  I will let you read what you want into your choice at your own leisure ;)

Ahh...my favorite type of composition (although not my favorite photo of the bunch--that's next!).  A shallow depth of field with a nice blurred background.  I also loved the symmetry provided with these two branches.  Then being able to put the rising sun in between them was icing on the cake.

Finally the last, and my personal fave.  This photo has the same concept as the previous one--shallow depth of field with a nice blurred background.  I was also able to use a new tool in Lightroom (at least new to me) to really bring out the gold of the sun and the green of the leaves in the foreground.  With those adjustments, I feel as though I was able to add a touch of magic (cue the Disney shimmer and sparkle!).

Here ends my 3 part installment of my view of the blizzard.  Which ones were your favorite? Do you agree with mine?  Or do you prefer one of the others?  Please tell me--I'm dying to know! 

Thanks for reading!  Come back for some more beautiful photography in the next post!

Cheers :)

2 comments:

  1. The first picture was my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the third one in this series the best, you captured the sunrise light very well, and the composition was the best in terms of the whole frame, but I'm sort of partial to photos at least that provide a certain perspective of depth. The dead branch in the foreground gives that depth and the background is made stunning by the light. Good work on all of these.

    ReplyDelete