Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snow Blizzard of 2016!



Snow!  It has come in one of the weirdest winters I have seen in a while (70 degree temps in December and a full-fledged blizzard in January!  What?!?).

Well snow pictures were promised, and snow pictures are delivered :)
This was my first time taking photos while it was snowing--truly.  My usual strategy for snow pics is to wait until it is done snowing, that way I have some sunlight to work with and I don't have to worry about keeping my camera dry.  However, the high winds that are scheduled for today and tomorrow seemed worse conditions for my camera than a calm snow.  This meant that I had to find a way of keeping my camera dry amidst heavy snowfall.  How?  I took a trash bag, poked a hole in the bottom, and wrapped it around my lens, so the rest of the bag covered the body of the camera.  I also used a rubber band to keep the bag in place (although it fell off a couple of times as the snow that was collected made it slippery--eek!).  I'm sure I didn't look very "professional" when I was taking photos (I would duck my head underneath to see and work the controls through the bag with my fingers-cut-off gloves), but I think the results make up for my own silly-looking appearance :)  Be sure to make it all the way down for my favorite of the bunch!

Of course I had to get the typical "snow on evergreen branch" shot.  It never gets old.

I wandered into an empty lot across the road, and found this rusted old......thing.  Yeah, I really don't know what it is, but I had a great time taking photos from all angles--including lying down in the snow :)

So there isn't much snow in this photo, but I chose to share it anyway.  These leaves were the only piece of nature around me that had any vibrant color to them.

This was taken in the back yard on my way to the dock.  I personally like how the shape of the subject is echoed (like a shadow) in the background along with the "sparkliness" of the falling snow.

The dock.  If you are wondering what that thing is part way up the dock, it is the canoe, turned upside down.  My favorite part is the branches hanging down from above.  I could have taken them out to have a clean sky, but I chose to keep them in.

I know that the full effect of this photo can never be fully appreciated in a blog setting, but I really like how this panorama turned out.  It's one of my favorites.  I hope that it can be printed somehow and given to my parents (whose dock this is) someday.

This one is my favorite of all I took yesterday--no competition.  This tree is alone and strong amidst the falling snow, and the branches from other trees frame it so nicely.  It was just perfect.  I also decided for this to be the one converted to B&W--I think it gives it a feeling of timelessness and stability (as is usual with B&W's).

Thanks for visiting.  I am always grateful :)  If you are also experiencing this blizzard, please be safe, stay warm, and enjoy the many beautiful views that can only be experienced with a blanket of snow.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment