Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Italia Parte Uno: Roma

If you have been following me on Instragram (@andrea42157), you know that I just returned home from a fantastic trip to Italy! (If you didn't know, then goodness gracious, get on Instragram and start following me! ;)

We spent 16 days traveling across Italy.  We started in Rome, and then escaped the city and travelled south to Sorrento.  The second half started with Venice and we ended in the smaller (but still beautiful!) town of Verona (you know, the place where Romeo and Juliet took place? Yeah, that place).

16 days of traveling--I took sooo many photos!  Multiple posts will cover this trip, starting with Rome.  We only spent 3 nights there, but there is so much majestic history to see and photograph!

First of all, let me introduce you to my travel companion.  This is Sarah.  She did most of the planning of this trip.  She's been dreaming of it for four years!  She was also a very gracious subject in some of my photos.  She willingly went where I told her to stand for some of my pictures, and they only came out so beautiful because she was a part of them.  Thank you Sarah!








I know this is probably not what was expected for my first "grand" photo of Rome.  This was taken at the Spanish Steps (which was under construction so no one was allowed on the steps).  However, I really liked it.  The little girl was walking over to pose for a picture for her mother, and the horse showed so much interest in the little girl--it was sweet.




Remember when I said that some of my photos were so beautiful only because Sarah was in them?  This is a perfect example.  This is in front of the Pantheon.  On either side of the main door are these huge recesses in the façade.  If I had taken a photo of just the recess, it would have been very bland.  Sarah at the bottom (particularly Sarah jumping!) makes it so much better!




The Trevi Fountain.  We got there just as the lights turned on.  It was so majestic.


As was the size of the crowd around the Trevi Fountain, ha.  We definitely had to push and shove a little to get any decent shots of the fountain. 



Now we are in the Roman Forum (which is kind of like the old times city center of Rome).  This particular building was my favorite of all of them.  It is called the Tempio di Antonino e Faustina.  My first reaction when we came to it was "It's so BIG!"  I know it's not very profound, but it really is huge--I couldn't even get the whole building in my camera's frame.


Another, more "artsy," shot of the Temple of Antonino and Faustina.  This time from the side.  It's always fun to capture a sunburst in a photo.  For any photogs out there--the smaller your aperture is, the more rays you will have coming off the sun in the picture.  If you have a large aperture, the sun will just look like a fuzzy burning ball of light.


These three columns are all that is left of the Temple of Castor and Pollux.  Yet again, these guys were so tall, I could not get the entire length of all of them in one shot, try as I might.




And now we arrive at the Colosseum--that grand structure you always see a picture of when you image search "Rome."  I had the same reaction to this as I had before--It is SO big!




 As many photos I have seen of the Colosseum, I had never actually seen the inside.  When I walked in, I stopped and my jaw hit the ground.  Again it is SO BIG!  And so impressive.  In the middle is where the stage used to be (you can see a small re-constructed portion on the opposite side).  What you see is the prison cells and pens where animals were kept underneath the stage.
Again.....an awe-inspiring piece of history.



I'll leave off here.  Come back tomorrow for more photos from our time in the Vatican and our arrival in Sorrento!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment