Saturday, April 1, 2017

April Showers Bring May Flowers.....Right?


It's true that flowers are the most photographed subject in all the world.  They are pretty and don't move too much as long as the wind is cooperating.  Capturing their beauty in a photograph is something, I'm sure, every photographer has tried to do at one point or another.

Earlier this week, I decided to go out and photograph the flowers on the trees in my front yard.  I have no idea what kind of flower they are--I just knew they were pretty :)

This isn't the first time I have posted photos of flowers on this blog (see Cherry Blossoms).  This time, however, I used a new tool that I have acquired since visiting the cherry blossoms in DC: extension tubes.  Extension tubes do just what you think--they extend the lens away from the camera body.  When this is done, the focal range (the distance at which you can get the image in focus) is shortened, allowing you to get closer to your subject than usual.  The photos below were used with an 85mm lens and two extension tubes stacked on top of each other (a 12mm and a 20mm).  This allowed me to get really close, BUT that means that I had to hold reeeeaaally steady to keep the flower in focus (plus the wind was blowing, making the whole process that much harder!).

PS-my favorite one is the last one.  Make sure you scroll all the way down to see it.  Maybe it will be your favorite too :)












Not my usual aspect ratio. I used a 1:1 for a perfect square and put the flower in the center.  While this is a B&W, I added some creamy undertones to the shadows and the highlights to give it a softer feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment