Sunday, February 28, 2016

National Zoo

Remember going to the Zoo as a kid?  Running around to get a glimpse of all of the animals, dodging people, maintenance trucks, and spilled food on the ground?  If you went in the middle of the day, most of the animals were napping--not super thrilling :(

But, if you go to the zoo really early in the morning, there are much less people to dodge, and the animals are awake and ready for breakfast!  This makes for some awesome photographs.



Reflection! (well, kind of with the ripples). 
The other thing that always grabs my attention in this photograph are the scars on her back.  I am not trying to create a commentary on the treatment of zoo animals or accuse the zookeepers in any way--it's just something that stands out to me.



Both of these shots of the lions are of the lionesses.  I so wanted to get some shots of the tiger, but he was down in an alcove playing with his keg, and he would not come out!



In all my research on how to photograph animals at the zoo, every article said not to include fences in the shot--but this is one of my absolute favorites.  I love how his eye is centered in the hole of the chain link fence.



You can juuust make out the red of his eye.



The flamingos--always love the pink-ness of their feathers and the graceful curve of their neck.



The pandas!  The reason so many people come to the National Zoo.  At 6:30 in the morning, it was only me, another photographer and 2 families there.  Much calmer than hundreds of people crammed against the fences with their cell phones and tablets.



This is Bao Bao.  I was able to get this and the next shot because she was right in front of a back pathway that is right next to the glass.  I did have to clean the class with a rag that I brought with me first.  Still so worth it!

Another shot of Bao Bao--my favorite of the morning!  It was really cool to be able to be this close and get a shot like this!

I guess my next step in photographing wildlife is to go on a safari! Ha! :P


Cheers!



1 comment: